| Saint-Martin / Saint-BarthÃ©lemy
Saint-Martin, in french and Sint Maarten
in dutch, is an island in the northeast Caribbean, 250 kilometers
north of Guadeloupe and 240 km east of Puerto Rico. Covering an
area of ??93 km ², it has 75,000 habitants.
Area: 87 km ²
Maximum length: 13.4 km
Maximum width: 15.8 km
Saint Martin is a beautiful Island, a magical place with sandy beaches,
turquoise waters and a Caribbean sun. Saint Martin is also called
the friendly Island.
She was discovered by Christopher Columbus during his second voyage
on November 11, 1493. Its white sand and clear sea have made the
island of Saint-Martin a dream destination, but the island is also
famous for his political coexistence.
Indeed, France and the Netherlands of 93 Km ² coexist in greater
harmony. Signed the Treaty of shares March 13, 1648 has never been
questioned. Besides never customs or border police just materialized
by a single pane !
Saint Martin is shared from east to west in two parts, Terres basses
and grandes terres which are linked by two narrow spits salty pond
surrounding the Simpson Bay and plays a role between the chains
of Small and Great Antilles. The official currency is the euro,
on each side of the border, but the dollar is the currency most
commonly used. Some of the Dutch shops only accept dollars.
The Caribbean, all year round the sun rises between 5 am and 6 am
and sets between 18 h and 19 h.
The sea is warm: it can exceed 29 ° C from July to October and does
not fall under 24 ° C during the dry season.
Two seasons are characterized from February to April, the dry season
called "Carême" or high season, because it is the most pleasing
of the year...
During the summer months, from July to October, however, it is the
wet season :
- The "rainy season", June and October are months of transition,
which can be enjoyable. The air (30 ° C) is heavy and stuffy even
when the winds.
- The prevailing winds in the Caribbean
- Fortunately frequent, do not refresh the atmosphere and rainy
Saint-Martin knows how the taste buds in effervescence...
Mixed gastronomy, which remains a jewel of Saint Martin, is a subtle
blend of flavors combining innovation and tradition. The island
has created an international reputation and never wavered.
The choice is between fish, lobsters and shellfish, succulent meats,
traditional barbecues, all mixed with local spices, sauces Creole
or tropical fruits.
Often in Saint-Martin dinner at the restaurant, it is also to make
a short excursion into foreign country: decor, aromas, flavors,
and even the focus of the service personnel transports you to thousands
Large tables renowned bistros, restaurants or even traditional beach
tits, all are St. Martin, Caribbean capital of gastronomy.
Saint-Barthélemy is a French island in the
carribean islands and overseas collectivity (COM) within the meaning
of Article 74 of the Constitution since July 15, 2007. Before that
date, on which the change of status takes effect at the first meeting
of the newly elected territorial council, it was a town and a district,
depending on the overseas department of Guadeloupe.
It is familiarly known St. Barts (or St Barts by English speakers).
Its inhabitants are commonly known as St. Barths.
Its postal code is 97133 and its official geographic code (INSEE
code) is 977 (or 97 701).
The island was discovered by Christopher Columbus, who named it
in honor of his brother Bartolomé, during his second voyage in 1493.
He then claimed it for Spain. Originally the name of the Caribbean
island was Ouanalao.
In 1648 took place the first occupation by the French decision of
commander Lonvilliers Poincy. From 1651 to 1656, the island was
ruled by the Knights of Malta. It was then abandoned until 1659,
when she becomes a French colony. With poor soil and a very dry
climate, it offers no economic potential, but remains a strategic
issue in the northern Lesser Antilles notably its naturally protected
harbor of Carenage. The inhabitants grow especially fishing, goat
rearing, harvesting of salt, cotton and indigo.
In 1784, the island was ceded by the King Louis XVI Gustav III of
Sweden against the right warehouse in Gothenburg. The Swedes Saint-Barthélemy
free port in 1785. In homage to the king of Sweden, the main town
of the island (The Shroud) is renamed Gustavia to 1787. An order
of "Police General» Swedish legislate slavery in Saint-Barthélemy
from 1787 instead of the French Black Code, slavery was finally
abolished it October 9, 1847.
The island was officially ceded back to France March 16, 1878 and
then attached to Guadeloupe where she became a municipality in 1946.
In 1957, David Rockefeller purchased a property and the island began
his transformation into an upscale tourist destination.
From 1962 to 2007, the communes of Saint-Martin and Saint-Barthélemy
were the third district of Guadeloupe (the "Northern Islands") are
administered by a sub-prefect whose main residence in Saint-Martin.
December 7, 2003, the voters of St. Bartholomew approved by popular
vote, with a participation of 78.71% and 95.51% of the votes cast,
an institutional project doing their island a territorial assembly
to single detached from the DOM Guadeloupe-ROM. The first territorial
elections are convened Saint-Barthélemy in July 2007 and became
the island, Sunday, July 15, 2007, officially collectivity overseas:
the commune of Saint-Barthélemy is dissolved, as well as the district
and departmental canton.
Saint-Barthélemy is located 230 km northwest of Guadeloupe and 25
miles southeast of Saint-Martin.
It is a mountainous island of volcanic rock made essentially of
about 21 km2 (24 km2 with îlets). It has 32 km of coastline.
Its population as of January 1, 2012 amounted to 9000 people.
The highest point of the island is bleak Vitet to 286 m.
The island is surrounded by several îlets including the island Chevreau,
Coco, Forked Island (important mooring craft), Frigate Island, Turtle
Island, The Baker, The Grenadines, Sugarloaf Island, Pele Island
Little John , Toc Vers, Gros Islets ...
The island has an exclusive economic zone (EEZ) of 4000 km2.